There are several options available when you have qualified as a Soft tissue Therapist, Sports Therapist or Sports Rehabilitator, this depends on your qualification level and course title;
Is there a lead body or Regulator for Sports Rehab or Sports Therapy?
- Currently Sports Therapy and Sports Rehabilitation are unregulated professions.
- There is no lead body or council for Sports Therapy or Sports Rehabilitation.
- There is a lead council for Soft Tissue Therapies (includes sports massage)
The General Council for Soft Tissue Therapies http://www.gcmt.org.uk
GCMT Mission Statement - We are the Views of the Profession
“The Council for Soft Tissue Therapies is the only forum where Professional Associations who represent massage and soft tissue therapies can come together to discuss and resolve industry issues. We aim to represent the views of the whole spectrum of massage and soft tissue practitioners by working collectively in the best interests of the profession.”
Do I have to join a membership body, as a student or once qualified?
To receive membership benefits you could consider joining a Professional Membership Association representing Sports Therapists and Sports Massage Therapists; It is not compulsory to join any association or maintain membership of any Association/Society or Organisation. You can access insurance to practice from independent Insurance brokers.
- Sports Therapy Association www.thesta.co.uk
- Company registration number 09447702 (not for profit association) Founded February 2014, Incorporated February 2015.
- Totally independent and not linked to any training provider.
- STA also represents Sports Massage Therapists (affiliate L3 and Full L4/L5 membership categories)