Ep67 'Sports Therapists: Stop Pretending To be Physios!' with special guest Dr David Rhodes
"I am bemused by the Sports Therapy profession... Where have the rehab specialists gone, the sports science knowledge, the S&C competency? Stop pretending to be physios."
In Ep.67 of the Sports Therapy Association Podcast, we are honoured to be joined by Dr David Rhodes, Course Lead in DProf in Elite Performance at the University of Central Lancashire.
Qualifying as a Sports Scientist in 2003 and a Sports Therapy MSc in 2008, Dr Rhodes completed his PhD in 2017 in the temporal pattern of recovery in eccentric hamstring strength and dynamic stability in footballers, and in 2021 secured a consultancy role at Motherwell Football Club as Head of Medicine and Performance.
With 28 peer reviewed publications and currently working with the Premier League on research projects, Dr Rhodes will in this episode be discussing roles for Sports Therapists within performance departments, and why so many ST's are trying to be Physios!
Topics discussed include:
- Why is Sports Therapy in danger of becoming extinct?
- Why is Physiotherapy so often regarded as 'superior' to other degrees?
- Who's to blame? Employers, employees or both?
- What are some important differences between Physiotherapy & Sports Therapy?
- What can Sports Therapists do to help improve the reputation of Sports Therapy?
- DProf in Elite Performance at the University of Central Lancashire
- Dr David Rhodes on Twitter: @DrDavid_Rhodes
Enjoyed the episode?
Please take a couple of minutes to leave us a rating & review on Apple Podcasts. It really does make all the difference in helping us reach out to a larger audience. iPhone users you can do this from your phone, Android users you will need to do it from iTunes.
All episodes are streamed live to our YouTube channel and remember all soft tissue therapists (non members included) are welcome to join us for the LIVE recording on Tuesdays at 8pm (UK time) on the Sports Therapy Association Facebook Page