Ep.62 'Integration of Sports Therapists into Physio Roles' with guests Jemma Oliver & Andy Hosgood
Many Sports Therapists miss out on employment opportunities because adverts specifically request Physiotherapists.
Is it time clinics started to be more open about filling roles from different disciplines and thinking about a skill set rather than a role?
In Ep.62 of the Sports Therapy Association Podcast, special guests Jemma Oliver (creator of 'The Physio & Therapist Support Group on Facebook') and Andy Hosgood (founder of 'Elevate Your Clinic') discuss how the skillset of many Sports Therapists means they could fill roles traditionally reserved for Physiotherapists. When it comes to health care provision, professional titles are becoming blurred in the realisation that the qualities of the individual health practitioner may play a more important part than just the certificate on the wall.
Topics discussed in this episode include:
- Why is Sports Therapy traditionally devalued by Physiotherapy?
- Why is there a shortage of physiotherapy roles being filled by physiotherapists?
- What differences are there in the MSK skillset between Sports Therapists and Physiotherapists?
- Has the modern movement towards evidence informed treatment played a part in blurring the distinction between Sports Therapists and Physiotherapists?
- What will it take for employers to consider skillset rather than profession?
- What can Sports Therapists do to help their integration into physiotherapy roles?
Enjoyed the episode?
Please take a couple of minutes to leave us a rating & review on Apple Podcasts. It really does make all the difference in helping us reach out to a larger audience. iPhone users you can do this from your phone, Android users you will need to do it from iTunes.
All episodes are streamed live to our YouTube channel and remember all soft tissue therapists (non members included) are welcome to join us for the LIVE recording on Tuesdays at 8pm (UK time) on the Sports Therapy Association Facebook Page