Ep66 'Understanding The Fear Avoidance Model' with special guest Jamie Johnston
Fear can help individuals in pain protect themselves from further harm as it prompts defensive behaviour. However, continued fear can lead to the avoidance of activities that people associate with their pain, often leading to distress, disability, absenteeism, and increased healthcare costs down the line. This is referred to as the Fear Avoidance Model.
In Ep.66 of the Sports Therapy Association Podcast, we welcome back special guest Jamie Johnston, Registered Massage Therapist in Canada and creator of 'The Massage Therapist Development Centre' (www.themtdc.com).
Together with his partner in crime Eric Purves, Jamie is also the creator an host of podcast The Massage Therapist Development Initiative, a highly recommended source of free CPD with some awesome guests (especially the 'all things running' guy in Episode 6)!
In this episode of the Sports Therapy Association Podcast, Jamie discusses and answers questions on how an understanding of the Fear Avoidance Model can equip soft tissue therapists with the skills to help clients & patients recover from injury & pain and return to their desired activities without falling prey to persistent fear.
Topics discussed include:
- History & definition of the 'Fear Avoidance Model'
- Dangers of persistent fear & avoidance of movement
- Link between the Fear Avoidance Model and the Biopsychosocial Model
- Effect of therapist's belief system on patient
- How therapists can instil confidence rather than fear
- Jamie's Online Courses: Pain Management Using Therapeutic Movement
- Coming Soon: The MTDC Community Membership
- Website: https://themtdc.com/
- Facebook: Massage Therapist Development Centre
- Twitter: @Jamie_MTDC
- Podcast: The Massage Therapist Development Initiative
Enjoyed the episode?
Please take a couple of minutes to leave us a rating & review on Apple Podcasts. It really does make all the difference in helping us reach out to a larger audience. iPhone users you can do this from your phone, Android users you will need to do it from iTunes.
All episodes are streamed live to our YouTube channel and remember all soft tissue therapists (non members included) are welcome to join us for the LIVE recording on Tuesdays at 8pm (UK time) on the Sports Therapy Association Facebook Page